1. Deep Sea Exploration with Robert Ballard (Monday, Feb. 4 and Tuesday, Feb. 5)
National Geographic’s explorer in residence shares his decades of experience beneath the deep blue seas as part of National Geographic Live for two nights. Ballard spoke about his discoveries, including his most famous, the Titanic, with the Calgary Herald’s Eric Volmers.
2. Musicians Care For Kids Concert at Jack Singer Concert Hall, Epcor Centre (Wednesday, Feb. 6)
Host Russell Broom is joined by Reuben Bullock (hear his “Who Will Break,” above), David Gogo, Andrea House and more at the annual benefit concert for The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary.
3. The House I Live In at The Plaza Theatre (Wednesday, Feb. 6)
The War on Drugs has contributed to the United States having the highest rate of incarceration in the world. The House I Live In, DocSoup’s February film, takes a look at The War on Drugs’ effect on people in all walks of life.
4. Kung Fu Panties at Loose Moose Theatre (Opening Wednesday, Feb. 6)
Playwright Rebecca Northan’s hit production returns with a new cast. Last time, tickets moved quickly and people were ripping the show’s posters off the walls as keepsakes. She was on Daybreak Alberta on CBC 1010 AM last Sunday to talk about bringing the show back.
5. The Best of the Beach Boys at Jack Singer Concert Hall, Epcor Centre (Thursday, Feb. 7 and Saturday, Feb. 9)
The Beach Boys wrote some of the best pop melodies of all time. Hear their songs filled out with a full orchestra at the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra’s tribute concerts. —Jon Roe