By Jon Roe
1. Calgary Cinematheque presents 8 1/2 at Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Centre (Wednesday, Sept. 5)
If you’re skeptical about blindly diving into the world of Italian art-house film with Federico Fellini’s classic flick 8 1/2, you can at least do so with a bit of knowledge to impress people with. Here’s our poseur’s guide to Fellini from Friday’s issue.
2. Hillhurst Sunnyside Literary Market (Wednesday, Sept. 5)
Prior to checking out Fellini, you can meet some authors as the weekly farmers’ market turns literary. Poets and authors on hand include Rosemary Nixon, Gordon Sombrowski, Weyman Chan, Barb Howard, Sheri-D Wilson, Marcello Di Cintio, Jeff Richmond, Lisa Murphy-Lamb and Richard Harrison.
3. Flat Roof Manor & Cape Legends tasting at Willow Park Wines & Spirits (Thursday, Sept. 6)
Kick off the fall tasting season at Willow Park with this free sampler featuring the award-winning wines of South Africa’s Cape Legends.
4. Calgary Culture Highlights (1912-2012) at Triwood Community Hall (Thursday, Sept. 6)
I may be giving you five weekly culture highlights, but I have nothing on Harry Sanders who will be looking at 100 years worth of Calgary culture highlights. While you’re there, you can congratulate him on becoming the city’s first historian laureate.
5. M83 at MacHall, U of C (Thursday, Sept. 6)
The highlight of this song for me is the sax solo near the end. It’s been a while since sax solos has been acceptable radio fare (this song has been getting good play on X92.9). I was beginning to worry that Kenny Loggins and the 80s had ruined the saxophone for people.
Honourable mentions: Kaboom! at Yuk Yuk’s (Wednesday, Sept. 5); Astronomy Night at Telus Spark (Thursday, Sept. 6); Portals by Aondrea Maynard opens at the recently renamed Christine Klassen Gallery (Thursday, Sept. 6).